Translate

Sunday 13 August 2017

Friday Night and Saturday: Aguedo, Praia de Mira and Mass

Dear readers, I have gotten so immersed in the actual stuff of exploring this amazing land, that I have fallen woefully behind in my chronicles of this travel.  I have just come back from my Sunday morning walk in the forest.  My Fitbit says that I walked 6000 steps on this foray into the beautiful wilds of Mira.  Each day I venture a little further.  As I sit to write this morning, I am sitting beneath an umbrella in Silverio’s garden.  It is breakfast time, and a steaming cup of coffee is at my left hand.  Surrounding me on the table are the standards things that are always there in the morning.  There are fresh strawberries, fresh figs,  Big pieces of various cheeses, various sausages, olives—both green and ripe -- , and cold boiled eggs.  I hardly know what I will do when I return to my regular life, and breakfast consists of a dish of yoghurt and a coffee.  I guess what I will do is sit and fondly remember my days in Mira.

I guess where I left you; we had just finished at the Mercado in Portomar.  I had come home with even more cheeses and sausages that there already were in the house.  As well, I had bought little things for the children of the family that we had to leave home from this adventure. Before I return home, I know that I must also buy a gallon of pure virgin olive oil from the locals for my cooking, and a flask of Eucalyptus honey.  I am sure it will be incredibly healthy to have a spoonful all winter to fight off colds.  We came home to a lunch of roasted chicken and rice, which was incredible, and then, while Lourdes went with her daughter Maria to Coimbra to shop for her grandchildren in Canada, Silverio came with Becky and I to guide us through a visit to Aguedo.




The heat of the direct sun that beams down on them often overwhelms this lovely city.  Their answer to that is both beautiful and effective.  Above the streets, there hang hundreds of colorful umbrellas, which not only offer a very much-needed shade, but also give the entire town a look of joy.  All the benches along the narrow walking streets are painted in festive rainbow motifs, and local artisans have also decorated stairwells that run to either side.  When we arrived, we found parking close by, and began out walk.  Silverio said that we should stop and rest from the road at a local pub.  It felt great to get in out of the scorching sun,  and once again the wine bottle arrived,  and we enjoyed a glass of rich red wine.  The proprietor also came out with a big plate of mixed olives.  As inexpensive as olives are here,  the plate of olives cost more than the three glasses of red wine.





Refreshed and ready, we headed out to explore the city. It was a beautiful day of walking, as the pictures will bear testament.  Our last stop was in a beautiful little church.








After exploring, we began our journey home to Mira.  While we were in Aguedo we heard the sirens blaring calling the firemen of Aguedo to help with the forest fires which were then coming quite close to that city.  On the way home we saw the huge plume of smoke rising.  These fires are doing terrible damage here.  Silverio had to get all the dry weeds and dead fall wood removed from his properties to try to hold the spread of these fires in check.

On the way home, we stopped once again at João’s home.  As we have come to expect, our arrival meant that João would immediately pull out all manner of cheese and sausage and bottles of wine.  Becky asked João’s wife about her family, and her incredible pride in them shone through pretty quickly.  She ran and got books of pictures of the baptisms of children and grandchildren, and we were immersed in the story of her family.  We are already treated like we are a part of that family.

Upon arrival back in Mira, Silverio laid out his usual late-afternoon snack of cheeses and sausages.  And just when we were well and truly fed, Lourdes laid out dinner from the leftover chicken.  Tired and over fed, Becky simply felt that she could not face another meal.  She made her apologies and went up to bed to read.  For myself,  I managed to find a little space for food.  I fear I may return from Portugal having gained back some of the weight that I worked hard to lose. 

After eating, Silverio and I sat over a bottle of Vinho Tinto and discussed Theology and the life of the church.  Finally, I simply had to turn in.

The Saturday walk was 5000 steps of glorious exploration with stops along the way to pick the wild black raspberries that bring back so many great memories of my early years on the farm in Tilbury.

When Becky was up and had breakfast we sat and talked with Silverio and Lourdes until lunch.  After lunch,  -- a soup Lourdes made called Caldo dos Laboradores or farmer’s soup (a soup made by throwing together everything that you find in your garden that day) and a couple bottles of wine, we took Becky to Praia de Mira and helped her to set up in a perfect place on the beach.  After this, Silverio and I went to the local Nursing home where we did some Pastoral Visiting. We stopped to see João’s mother who is 94 and failing very quickly.  We also paid a visit to Lourdes’ aunt.  Along the way we were drawn in to many conversations with others who lived in that home. 







With our visits complete, we went back to the house to collect the cooler, and went and joined Becky at the beach.  The sand was very hot, but the Atlantic was still quite cold.  Both Becky and I ventured into the ocean for a short time, but the temperature soon changed our minds. 

After a little walk in the sand, Silverio opened up the treasures that he had packed in the cooler.  Lourdes had prepared Lupin beans, which are wonderful lightly salted, soaked beans.  There was a huge bag of peanuts in the shell, and prepared fruits.  Of course chilled to perfection in the bottom of the cooler there were a couple bottles of Vinho Verde.  When this “afternoon snack was dispatched, we packed up to return to the village and get ready to go to Mass.

The church is a beautiful modern church.  The clergy are very informal, and while they do wear alb and stole to celebrate, they only wear clerical collars on principal feast days.  The music of the Eucharist was lovely and well-sung. The preacher delivered a very strong but short homily.  Silverio – himself an Anglican Deacon – had informed the Rector of the parish that I was Anglican, and the Dean of St. George’s Cathedral in Kingston.  Usually this would have meant that I would be excluded from receiving the Eucharist, but the Rector of this parish insisted that I must come and join in the meal with everyone else.  Having been barred in many Roman Catholic Churches in my lifetime, this was an amazing sense of hospitality.



Following church we returned home to have a great dinner of the leftover farmer’s soup and a couple bottles of wine, it was off to bed.

This morning, my fitbit, as I said previously says that I have accomplished 6000 steps before this fabulous breakfast.  The plan for today is that Becky and I will do our laundry so that we can pack to go for a couple days to Porto for more explorations.  In the evening,  we are meeting with a few of Silverio’s friends at a local restaurant for a very traditional Portuguese dinner.  Through the day, there is a special celebration at the Igreja de São Tome across the street from us, which celebrates all the immigrants who come here.  They are barbecuing a pig, and there will be music and dancing in the streets.  It reminds me so much of the life I shared with the people of South America during my sabbatical, and with the Colombian congregation back in Kitchener, where every gathering somehow devolved into someone beginning to play music, and people dancing.  I expect this will be a quiet peaceful day for the most part.


When I returned from my walk, Lourdes had one new thing that she wanted me to try.  A year ago she started making a Liqor.  She filled jars with all the fruit from the garden that has a stone in it.  (Plums, cherries, peaches) These were then covered with white wine and sugar and placed in a nice cool dark place.  Lourdes had forgotten have made this, and today she opened it for the first time, and it was absolutely fabulous.  When I return to Canada I can see a recipe of this Liqor being started at Camden East.

No comments:

Post a Comment